Friday, November 12, 2010

A little step forward...


For those of you who are on FB with me, I guess this post is nothing new to you. :-)

2 months back (Sept 23rd to be exact), I pushed Ern to buy her own chocolate sundae at McD. She rejected ( I should say she was afraid) the idea of placing the order herself. So I placed the order (via the drive through) just for other family members except her order before we drove home. She was blank, I can tell. However, she didn't whine but she knew I was unhappy.

The moment she got home and saw MIL, she broke down and cried. Manja!! I told MIL I have received feedback from Ern's teacher she is lack of confident in class. We need to 'do something' to help her to overcome. So, MIL stayed at my side *grin*

The whole crying drama lasted for 1 hour no matter how we (MIL and I) coaxed her. I even did a role play how the situation would be at McD and tell her how she can place the order. She 'participated" in the role play well, still with tears in her eyes & sobbing. LOL

In the end, I told her if she is brave enough to place the Chocolate Sundae herself, I will get her the Happy Meal that comes with a Power Puff Girl toy (She saw it when we were there earlier). She buy the idea and agreed to go back again. She decided just to get the Happy Meal and not the chocolate sundae. Well, she just wanted the toy!

I drove her back to McD again. I wanted her to order from the counter but it was raining heavily. So I have to settle with the drive through machine again.

While waiting for our q, Ern even said to me this (in Mandarin): " Mummy, we have to be polite, right? So we have to say "Please" and "May I"!!"

This was the conversation when it was our turn to place the order:
Ern: Please, May I have 1 Happy Meal?
Cashier: Ok. Anything else?
ERn: Please, May I have 1 pink Power Puff Girl?

I tell you, at that moment, I had a mixed feeling - Proud and funny!
Proud because I managed to push her step forward to do something...funny because I couldn't stop laughing on how she spoke and placed the order!!

Anyway, from that day onwards, we can see a leap jump on Ern's courage to do more things on her own.

Btw, she dare not play the slide that comes with a cover (Sorry, don't know what's this call), fear that she get stuck half way and we can't see and rescue her. 2 weeks back, she did it without me telling her to try.

Bravo Ching Ern. Mummy is proud of you!

No comments: