Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rewards vs Punishment

I came across introducing 'Reward & Punishment" from 2 mummies when I read about their blog.

Now that Ern is big enough to rationalize things, I introduced this concept to her some time back. Boy, it worked very well on her and me in my parenting life!

Reward:


The magic of 'sticker' is really wonderful. I bought a sheet of sticker with the cartoon character that Ern likes. Then, I printed out a paper with boxes and the 'carrot' (to the restaurant with Golden Arch).

I told Ern, I will give her a sticker whenever she is a good girl. So, her "good girl" can be from 'drinking her milk super fast', poo (yes, she can simpan!), sleep early, etc. After she filled up the box, then we will go eat 'chips, ice-cream, apple pie". I tell you, she was so thrilled and motivated!

Punishment:

she turned her face away when I tried to snap her 'angry' face at the naughty corner

This is her 'naughty corner'. When she is misbehave, I will send her there and ask her to sit on the floor (fuming already, no time to bring chair as her 'thinking chair') and think what she has done wrong. Whenever we sent her there, she will cried. We just ignored her for like 10-15mins until she stopped crying. Then, we will tell why the reasons and consequences of the act she did.

Now, whenever she did wrong, she will 'automatically' go to her Naughty Corner and say "I naughty, I go naughty corner'!! LOL

I wonder how long this will work!

2 comments:

yeelee said...

Ern is well behave.
at least she'll goes to the nauthy corner automatically.:)

CheahWei said...

I've heard alot about ways of reward and punishment from lots of mummies too and thankfully (crossed my fingers) I don't really need to start the "sticker"/carrot thingy for now.
Glad to know it's working well for u and Ching Ern understanding it.