Friday, December 7, 2007

Puzzle

I started introducing puzzle (2 pieces only) to Ching Ern last week. It was a recommendation by a friend, Neoh (a Montessori trained teacher from London) who runs an online boys & books store called MyToysandBooks.com.

At first, I was a little hesitate whether it is too early to introduce puzzle to Ern. In the end, I still give it a try because I thought I can keep it later if she is not ready. I choose a "transport" puzzle set since this is something we have not really taught her (except car).

I was totally IMPRESSED when I received the parcel because Neoh has included a 'checklist' to guide the parents how to play the puzzle more interesting & interactive with the toddler like:

1) Purpose: Daddy & Mummy go to work by using the CAR.
2) Sound: Neeeee-oww (sound of aeroplane)
3) Where can you find it: On the farm/construction sites (for Tractor)
4) Parts: Cabin, seats, driver (for Train)
5) Others: Need to buy train tickets before travel (for Train)

On day 1, Ern showed no interested on the puzzle but demonstrated her 'take out and put aside' skill or take the whole box shaking up and down. "Sigh" & "Is she too young for it?" were my first 2 reactions.

On the very next day, I wrote a mail to Neoh to seek help, as in how I can attract her interest. Neoh suggested I must introduce the object (in full picture) to Ern before I can start the puzzle. I followed her tips and started repeating the 4 objects for several nights, while also followed her tips from the 'checklist'.

After a week of 'hard work', it finally paid off yesterday night. Ern is able to 'match' (not 100% perfect) the Aeroplane and Train though she can't fit them nicely. Instead of putting all 8 pieces which may complicate things, I decided to place 4 pieces (from Aeroplane & Train) and let her choose and 'match'. She will take the 2 pieces and bring to me (ask me to fix for her).

Now, I am working on the Tractor and Car. Hopefully within the short period, Ern is able to match them perfectly. :-)

If you are unsure what to get for your kids, do write Neoh a mail and she can recommends the right books/toys that may suit your toddler/kiddo.

PS: This is not a sponsored or product review post. I thought this is something useful to share with other parents. :-)

2 comments:

khongfamily said...

Good job! Have been thinking of introducing puzzles to Brae as well.

Mummy Joanne and Daddy Terence said...

Hmm, interesting. I do think of introducing puzzle to Kelvin, probably now it's the time to introduce it to him and let him mess up with it huh! Thanks for sharing.