Wednesday, October 29, 2008

School Hunting



I bought this book during my last business trip in Singapore, thought it is useful to explain the concept of school to Ern. She is able to name all of objects on the book but I am not sure if she really understand what school means or not.

Yup, we will be putting Ern to playschool starting November for several reasons:

1) Start school before her sibling is born: I do not want Ern to feel being 'left me out', as in only send her to school after her sibling is born.

2) I know most kiddo fall sick regularly during the first few months after they start school. So I want Ern to 'go through' this cycle now so that I can 'minimize' number 2 being fall sick, especially at the first 6 months before the immune system is built. I know I can't avoid fully but I thought that's something I can do.

3) While I still have the time, I want to accompany her to go through the transition into school life. We plan to put her half day as a start and see if there is a need, we will put her into full day care.

4) Toilet trained: She is still not fully toilet trained at home. She has no problem telling us on past motion but not on past urine. So hopefully from peer pressure of seeing everyone go to toilet to wee, she is able to follow suit.

5) Self Feeding: She is able to feed herself using fork but not spoon. Not her fault because we never let her self feed during lunch/dinner for one simple reason: we don't have the time to clean the mess! Another 'mission' for Ern to learn at school.

6) Learn: We want her to learn something while play at school.

Hence, I have been searching for playschools for the past few weeks. Looking around our neighbourhood and Poh Poh's areas for 1 reason - logistic convenience to transport Ern back and forth from school.

Out of 7 schools that I went, I have shortlisted to 3. Generally, the syllabus looked more or less the same to me but school fees varies. One can be RM280/month to another premium price at RM400/month. It's half day school inclusive lunch & shower.

Then, Daddy went for another round on these 3 shortlisted schools so that we can 'share notes and compare" before we decide the school for Ern.

In the end, we choose the one near our neighbourhood (walking distance) although it wasn't the top of our choice. Again for 1 simple reason: CONVENIENT

- Daddy will be on business travel frequently, which means I need to 'kau tim' Ern and # 2 all by myself. So, time is precious to me.

- In case of any emergency, MIL can be reached easily to take care of Ern.

- We would expect Poh Poh to pick Ern up from school. In case of any delay, MIL can pick Ern up and wait for Poh Poh at home. So, Daddy and I are relieve from fetching our girl from school.

This morning, we brought Ern along to school for registration and made some payment on fees. She didn't cry but you can tell her eyes were busy 'looking around' exploring the school. Daddy stayed with her while I talked to the principal. She seems ok playing with the toys and when we told her it's time to go home, she refused to follow us home. Until Daddy carried her, then she waved bye bye to her friends-to-be and teachers. No tears or struggle.

Let's see how she cope next Monday. Keeping our fingers cross!

1 comment:

yeelee said...

wish Ern has a great time in school!
i also plan to send my girl to nursery around 2.5 yrs.
hope that we can share more info later :)