Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Battles Begins...


The next day after we came back, Ern developed cough. I knew she is going to get it since I didn't bring medicine for her during the KL stay.

It started off with normal cough and she threw up middle of the nights for few nights. This is something normal for Ern. Whenever she is cough, she will SURE throw up 1+hr she dozed off. This is because her airway start to become narrow after the muscle relax.

Few nights of medication, her cough became better but whenever the throat get irritated, she will cough non stop and vomit mouthful!

1 week after of the usual 'drama cough', she threw up badly one of the nights right after dinner. Not only once but 4-5 times within 2 hours. After the last throw up, she was so weak and lembeh! Even 1-2 sips of water, it will come out 10mins later.

Hubb and I decided to send her to see PD as she still show sign of vomitting, the mouthful type. While waiting for PD to come, the nurse administered a anti-diarahhe suppository to stop it. PD gave it another day of monitor. If vomitting still continue, we will need to admit to drip her as she will be close to dyhrated by then.

The next morning, she was all ok but started to lose her appetite. Ate very little. Come late afternoon, the same vomit episod started all over again. This time, fever came in fast!

We took her home first because we need to pack our 'luggage' to 'check in'! While waiting for me to pack OUR (Ern & I) bags, she vomitted again. This time, we can see the greenish liquid and we know, she already empty her stomach.

Right after we get to the hospital, the emergency & accident called our PD and instruction been given to admit & drip Ern. PD won't be able to come in earlier as she was too far from hospital and she wasn't concern on Ern's condition. She spoke to hubb and promised to swing by later.

I was concern to let the nurse to perform the Intravenous Drip (IV) on Ern as she has the same problem like me - our vein is smaller than average people and our vain is way way below our upper skin layer. At the juncture, I was prepared to see they need to poke Ern twice to get the IV done as that's normally the case happened on my. Unless it is performed by a real experience person (I am talking about those > 40years old medical sound person), it's always at least 2 times for me!

The Staff nurse on duty did that for Ern. Prior bringing the little girl to the treatment room, I told her what will be done on her. I explained in brief the procedure and why she has to go through this.

Honestly, I thought she would scream and struggle. To my surprise, I hear NO SOUND at all outside of the room. Oh yeah, parents are not allow to observe as kids tend to struggle, so as the parents. After 5 mins, the nurse opened the door and said this to me - " Ching Ern was so brave. She didn't cry or 'eh" a sound (as in pain) at all. She was chatting with me!!"

At that moment, I was so proud of my girl!! Which mum wouldn't when they see their child achieve something in their growth milestone? :-)

30mins later after the glucose went into her body, Ern became the usual her. The energy is back. She cried twice during the drip days when she saw her own flood backflow into her hand. Not because it's painful but she got scared by herself!!

Fever still came in fiercely for the next 2 days at average of 38-38.5 degrees. PD started antibiotic on the 3rd day as she knew Ern's antibody is too weak to fight for by herself. We stayed for another a week to complete the antibiotic (course of 5 injections) plus nebulizer.

Did I ever mention, whenever Poh Poh is away on vacation, Ern will always fall sick and admitted. We always joke that Poh Poh can't leave Ern for too long as she is Ern's 'Guardian Angel"...

I heart this photo..Ern's expression is so funny and cute, check out her 'tweety' mouth!! LOL

No comments: