Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Meaningful Blanket


By looking at the picture, this is just an ordinary children blanket, with animal printing. It was a birthday gift for Ern’s 2nd birthday recently.

So..you may ask, what’s so special about this blanket that you need to blog about it???

This blanket replaced our hands and presence in putting Ern’s to sleep. It helps Ern to sleep independently without patting her butt or need to sleep next to her.

On the 1st day when I showed the blanket to Ern, she excitedly read out the animal names to me like Al-fen (elephant), Bi-Bra (Zebra), Cat, Giraffe, etc. Before I switched off the light, this was our conversation:

Mummy: Ern Ern, tonight Giraffe sleep with you ok?
Ern: Okay (in delighting mode)..giraffe sleeping
Mummy: Good girl…you sleep with giraffe ya..
Ern: Okay, night night, see you
Mummy: Good night *quickly switch off the light*
Ern: * happily pat her own butt, as if trying to tell giraffe to sleep*

Day 2, I repeated the same story but just change the animal name. Instead of giraffe, I used Elephant.

Day 3, same story line but change to zebra

It has been 1 week now and Ern has no problem sleeping on her own, as long as I need to ‘tell’ her who is sleeping with her! LOL

I didn’t expect a simple blanket can turned into a useful tool to transition my girl to sleep independently.

Thanks Aunty CW! It was the perfect gift for Ern!

4 comments:

sunshine said...

Really a smart mommy. I shall remember this trick !

LHS said...

haha..then very soon you have to say like this:-you sleep with elephant, zebra, cat and giraffe tonight..LOL

CheahWei said...

You're most welcome. I'm glad that its so meaningful and useful :)

Angeleyes said...

hahhaha! way to go WS!

So far Darrius is sleeping on his own too after we put him in his 'little corner' with a new mattress.