Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Sleep Through

Ern started to sleep through when she was around 2+ month old. Ok..ok, my definition of "sleep through" means I don't need to get up between 12am - 5am. Some mummies would comment this:"Wow, how lucky you are!". Well, even the paediatrician also commented the same thing as breastfed babies normally don't sleep through at this age.

Well, well, let me tell you this. Ern is able to sleep through at night because she hardly sleep during the day!!! Guess what, her nap can be as short as 15mins per session and she only nap twice in the afternoon. Morning session, she sleeps a bit longer, like 1+ hour and it's 1 session only. So, obviously she will be exhausted after a long active day. Pity my mum who babysits her, need to be with her most of the time.

I have to admit i am lucky. Getting up middle of night to breastfeed a baby is TIRING as it takes easily 30-45mins. If a baby gets up twice middle of the night, a mum gets to sleep like 4-5 hours only.

For the past 2 weeks, Ern started to take longer nap, from 15-30mins to 1-2 hours, depending how exhausted is she. Normally, she sleeps longer on Mondays or the next day after a holiday. That's because we are taking Ern out and she missed her nap.

Ern is a night person. Why I said so?? Since small, she only goes to sleep like 10pm. Generally, baby sleeps like 8-9pm. Even I have tried to pull in her sleeping time, she still wakes up after a short nap and sleep like 10+pm. Lately, Ern's sleeping hour changed again. She only goes to bed like 11-11.30pm and sleeps till 9am. My mum said she "inherit" from her dad and "mah mah" (KK's Mum) as both of them are night person. LOL

Though I don't need to nurse Ern, I still get up 2-3 times middle of the night to "check" on her. I guess it's "mother ins tint" kua!!

At times, Ern still makes noises with her eyes close and I will normally do this:
1) Pat her back/chest
2) Cuddle
3) Get her to sleep next to me
4) Give her pacifier
5) Give her warm water to drink(4-5 sips only)
6) Nurse her (last option after I have tried the above)

No comments: