Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Day 1 - Confirmed Dengue

Fever still comes and go. Another suppository in the morning when the temperature shoot up to 38.8.

Luckily Ern still managed to sleep through and only woke up twice for water and back to lala-land within 10 mins. That's because the nurses came to check on her temperature and disturbed her sleep.

This time, we managed to get the urine real fast. I think within 5 minutes, she pee and quite substantial amount. haha.

Then, the crying moment - blood withdrawal. I was forbidden to go in to the treatment room to accompany Ern, which I can totally understand the reason behind. It is too heart wrenching to see how they did it and to see our child cry.

10 minutes later, kau tim. The nurses complimented Ern because she only cry towards the end, when they pulled out the needle. She didn't cry when they poked her! LOL.

Again, I am thankful as all this while, it's easy to calm Ern down. Just carry her, pat her back, say few times of "sayang" and within 30 seconds or less, she will stop crying.

To our surprise, Ern was able to nap/eat/sleep as her normal schedule even she has fever. She knew many "koh koh" & "che che" out there running and playing. So, she whine a lot and wanted us to carry her outside of the room. Once we stepped out of the room, immediately she will smile and look around as if looking for a playmate.

When PD came for the afternoon ward round, Ern was taking her nap. After flipping through the blood test report, PD looked up sadly and asked me to walk out to the room. My heart sanked immediately because I knew that's not a good sign. She explained to me Ern has mild dengue as her platelet dropped slightly (can't remember the number), so as other 2 elements (can't recall what). Out of the 2 elements, one of them indicated Ern has bacteria infection, on top of virus infection. So, it's a double infection!

My mind was blank suddenly and can only remembered PD said she will do the intravenous catheter (IV) by herself as Ern needs to be on 5-days course of antibiotic. She said whe will do IV when Ern wakes up from the nap, which I told her it shouldn't be long as Ern doesn't nap long.

My tears dropped when I called daddy to inform him about the bad news.

Ern cried when PD did the IV thing but she didn't make any fuss when the medicine was injected.

By evening and night, no more fever but we still check regularly to monitor.

Here goes the photo of Ern's leg with the IV.



I was afraid her usual socks will hurt her IV, so I dressed Ern like this.


One side is her own socks while the other is mummy's!!

3 comments:

mom2ashley said...

awww poor thing..they should bnever have to suffer like that rigth? When i had dengue,they took my blood test every day! i hated it....and when i was discharged, both my arms were bruised as though i was a drug addict!

Peter & Joyce said...

Get well soon Ern. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! :)

CheahWei said...

Haha...I can recognized the sock that I bought...so lovely to see..:)